What Happens to My Benefits When I Leave The District?

When you leave the district you have multiple options when it comes to your benefits.  Some benefits are “Portable”, while some are “COBRA Eligible”.  Portable means that you can choose to pay the premiums directly to the contracted vendor and continue these benefits for you and your family members (if applicable).  Group health coverage for COBRA participants is generally more expensive than health coverage for active employees, since usually the employer pays a part of the premium for active employees while COBRA participants typically pay the entire premium themselves. It is ordinarily less expensive, though, than individual health coverage.

What is COBRA?

Life is full of unexpected events that may impact your health insurance coverage. Under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, better known as COBRA, you have the right to continue your group health coverage such as medical, dental, vision insurance and flexible spending accounts for a limited period of time.


  • Temporary continuation of coverage that generally lasts for 18 months due to employment termination or reduction of hours of work, divorce, death or a child no longer qualifying as a dependent. Certain qualifying events, or a second qualifying event during the initial period of coverage, may permit a beneficiary to receive a maximum of 36 months of coverage.
  • Either you or your family member are responsible for notifying your employer of a divorce, legal separation or child losing dependent status within 60 days of the event. In the case of termination, death or reduction in hours, your employer will be responsible for letting the provider know that you have the right to continue coverage under COBRA.
  • Benefits will remain identical to what you had while employed. However, you will be responsible for paying the full premium, plus any applicable fees.